Northeast Portland’s Alameda Park Addition was first platted in 1909. Construction soon followed and by 1920, hundreds of houses and a busy streetcar line had been built in the new subdivision. Successive waves of homebuilding in the decades that followed have shaped the neighborhood of today. New challenges await Alameda’s second century, including Portland’s demolition trend which is reshaping the look and feel of this 108-year-old neighborhood.
Using early maps, photos and newspaper accounts, historian Doug Decker will tell the story of how the Alameda neighborhood developed, profiling its key institutions and early builders and building styles, while also sharing stories of the early years from former residents.
This presentation builds on past presentations Doug has led for the AHC, and includes new material and insights. Doug runs the website alamedahistory.org. He also creates architectural and social histories of buildings and places through interviews, document and archival research, photo research, and other explorations, thereby creating a richer understanding of the impact, significance, and role a single property can have on a community over time.
Sponsored by: Full Circa
This lecture program is held at the Architectural Heritage Center - 701 SE Grand Avenue
Parking is on-street (free on Saturdays) or in the parking lot on the west side of Grand Avenue between SE Yamhill and Belmont Streets - just to the north of the Grand Marketplace. Do not use the lot where Dutch Bros. Coffee is located. Thank you to Bolliger and Sons Insurance for sharing their lot with us for our evening and Saturday education programs.
Image: Alameda Bungalow Photo Courtesy of Doug Decker.